Thursday 20 April 2017

The Zookeeper's Wife, 3 Stars

I liked this movie. It has been criticized (quite rightly) for the simplistic flaws in the story line amidst the horrific impact of war and the Holocaust.

In spite of all that, it is still a good story that flows and basically holds together without many obvious weak spots. The reason to see it is Jessica Chastain (The Help) – her acting is riveting and wide-ranging, and dominates the screen.  Strong performances by Johan Heldenbergh (new to me), Daniel Bruhl (Joyeux Noel) and especially Shira Haas (also new to me) hold the movie together.

There are brutal portions that are difficult to watch (or you have to be quick to close your eyes), and I’m not sure if I would watch it again. But I do recommend it.


No comments:

Post a Comment