Thursday 20 April 2017

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, 2.5 Stars

I did like this movie but it drags in places. At 132 minutes it could be shorter by 20.  The story is a good one (albeit somewhat ponderous), written by J.K. Rowling and it does play off the Harry Potter franchise in some references, special effects and occasional musical backgrounds. (You don’t have to know the HP stories but it helps.)

Eddie Redmayne (The Theory of Everything) is excellent and further demonstrates his wide range of talents in this somewhat understated role. Katherine Waterston (who has some facial characteristics of her father Sam {but is new to me}) and Colin Farrell (Saving Mr. Banks) are solid and Alison Sudol (new to me) is appropriately ‘over the top’.


I understand that there are plans to make a mini-franchise of several films (with Jude Law {Sherlock Holmes movies} playing  a young Dumbledore). I think I might rent this one again at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment